Placerville Pioneer Jewish Cemetery
Founded - 1854
First burial - 1856
Last burial - 1968
Rededicated as a historical site
on January 26, 1964
22 headstones visible
The Placerville Hebrew Benevolent Society was organized in 1854. Another Jewish cemetery was established during the same period in Diamond Springs, but the site has not been found. In 1858 The Mountain Democrat reported the organization of a congregation. Property was acquired for a synagogue in 1861 on Cottage and El Dorado streets, but in 1878 a windstorm destroyed the building. A second synagogue edifice erected was abandoned in 1903.
The cemetery is is surrounded by a fence and a locked gate. Please arrange with the Commission to visit this cemetery.