Grass Valley Pioneer Jewish Cemetery
Original name: Shaar Zedek
(Gate of Righteousness)
Founded - 1856
First burial - 1857
Last burial - 1891
Rededicated as a historical site
on September 13, 1970
30 headstones visible
The Hebrew Benevolent of Society of Grass Valley was organized September 8, 1856 for the purpose of "taking charge of the cemetery, taking care of the sick, and burying the dead." A congregation was formed for the High Holidays that year, acquiring a Sefer Torah and shofar. Less than one acre remains of the original five acre plot which included a mortuary building.
Bounded by Blossom Lane, Second Street, and Eureka Street. Gate is locked, please contact the Commission to gain entrance.