Jackson Pioneer Jewish Cemetery
Original name: Givoth Olam
(Hills of Eternity)
Founded - 1857
First burial - 1857
Last burial - 1921
Rededicated as a historical site
on June 27, 1976
32 headstones visible
Congregation B'nai Israel was organized in Jackson for the High Holidays of 1856, and the next year erected the first synagogue in the mining districts. In July 1857, the Amador Ledger reported, "The Israelites of Jackson have commenced the construction of what will be, when finished, one of the largest and finest churches in the mountains." The synagogue was dedicated in September of 1857 but used only for High Holiday services each year. After 1868 the building was used for secular purposes and it was demolished in 1876. Historical Landmark No. 865 commemorates its location in front of the present-day Jackson Grammer School.
Site is surrounded by cypress trees and a wrought iron fence.